In addition to the criminal fines and penalties, if you are convicted of Driving While Intoxicated in Houston, Texas, you will likely have to pay for bail (to get out of jail), have an ignition interlock installed in your vehicle, and towing charges because your car will likely be impounded.
If convicted there will also be Driver’s License Surcharges (these surcharges may be waived if you are found indigent Tex. Transp. Code § 708.102 & § 701.158) for 3 years after the conviction, consisting of:
• DWI 1st Offense: $1,000
• DWI Subsequent Offense: $1,500
• DWI with BAC of .16 or higher $2,000
Additionally, your insurance rates can triple after a DWI conviction.
You may also have to pay probation fees for 2 years:
• Up to $60/month probation fees for 2 years (Art. 42.12 § 19 Tex. Code Crim. Proc.)
• Criminal Fines as high as $2,000
• Court Costs up to $500
• Cost of attending alcohol counseling / treatment
• Possible cost of installing an Ignition Interock Device during any probation period (if BAC was .16 or higher)
Total Cost: Anywhere between $5,000 and $50,000 (this is an estimate)